The Miracles of Jesus
March 6, 2021
Jesus brings Jairus’s daughter back to life
Mark 5:21—24; 35-43
If you’ve ever visited someone in a hospital ward or had a stay in the hospital, it’s not uncommon to hear the words, “Code Blue, Code Blue, Room #___, Stat!” Code blue indicates a medical emergency such as cardiac or respiratory arrest.
Doctors and nurses rush to the patient’s room and try to get them breathing or heart pumping again. Sometimes they succeed, and other times they don’t.
The Synagogue leader, Jairus, came to Jesus asking for his little daughter’s healing, who was near death. Here’s what happened:
“Jesus got into the boat again and went back to the other side of the lake, where a large crowd gathered around him on the shore. Then a leader of the local synagogue, whose name was Jairus, arrived. When he saw Jesus, he fell at his feet, pleading fervently with him. “My little daughter is dying,” he said. “Please come and lay your hands on her; heal her so she can live.”
Jesus went with him, and all the people followed, crowding around him.
While he was still speaking to her, messengers arrived from the home of Jairus, the leader of the synagogue. They told him, “Your daughter is dead. There’s no use troubling the Teacher now.”
But Jesus overheard them and said to Jairus,
“Do not fear, only believe.”
Then Jesus stopped the crowd and wouldn’t let anyone go with him except Peter, James, and John (the brother of James). When they came to the home of the synagogue leader, Jesus saw much commotion and weeping and wailing.
He went inside and asked, “Why all this commotion and weeping? The child isn’t dead; she’s only asleep.”
The crowd laughed at him. But he made them all leave, and he took the girl’s father and mother and his three disciples into the room where the girl was lying.
Holding her hand, he said to her, “Talitha koum,” which means “Little girl, get up!”
And the girl, who was twelve years old, immediately stood up and walked around! They were overwhelmed and totally amazed. Jesus gave them strict orders not to tell anyone what had happened, and then he told them to give her something to eat.”
Here is another story of Faith and healing. Jairus had just witnessed the healing of a woman who had been bleeding for twelve years. (Yesterday’s devotion) Jesus healed her based upon her Faith. Now Jairus needed a firm faith for what was to come next that day.
- Messengers arrive and tell Jairus that his daughter is dead. They told Him not to bother the master anymore; it was too late for Him to do anything.
- How would you feel at this point if you were Jairus?
- Before Jairus can even say anything to Jesus, Jesus says to him, “Don’t be afraid. Just have Faith.”
- How strong would your Faith be, based on the healing you just witnessed and the words of reassurance from Jesus?
- The group arrives at Jairus’s home. There’s a crowd of people mourning his daughter’s death. Jesus says, “Why all this commotion and weeping? The child isn’t dead; she’s only asleep.” The crowd just laughs at Jesus.
- You are full of mixed emotions. Your daughter is dead. Jesus says she’s asleep. Yet, you maintain your Faith. Jesus has a plan. Why else would He have come home with you? You have put your Faith entirely in this man who claims to be the Son of God.
- Jesus enters the house and takes the girl’s hand, saying, “Talitha koum,” which means “Little girl, get up!” And, she does just that. The twelve-year-old girl is alive and well.
- For the first time, we see that Jesus is more than a healer. He has the power over life and death. He is truly the Son of God.
This story is just the prelude to the big event to come just a couple of years later. Jesus would die on a cross, be buried, and rise again three days later. Jesus overcame death so that you and I might be saved.
Someday, unless we live till Christ’s second coming, we all will die. But because of Christ’s death on the cross, we will be resuscitated; we too shall rise from the dead and live eternally with Him.
Dear Jesus. You showed your mighty power over death when you healed Jairus’s daughter. Help us to have strong Faith, and never stop believing that one day we too will rise and join you in eternity. Amen